turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

philruh

How can I know how much I can sell of stocks and bonds without paying taxes on my social security, for filing married joint return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

How can I know how much I can sell of stocks and bonds without paying taxes on my social security, for filing married joint return?

Up to 85% of Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security reaches:

• Married Filing Jointly - $32,000
  • Single or Head of Household - $25,000
  • Married Filing Separately - 0

In your prior question, you mentioned an RMD. Be sure to count that amount  in the calculatoon..
Hal_Al
Level 15

Example 1: You  currently have $20,000 of Social security benefits and no other income.
$32,000 -10,000 (half of your SS) = 22,000. You may add $22,000 of capital gains or other income and your SS will still not be taxable

Example 2: You  currently have $20,000 of Social security benefits and $12,000 in RMD.
$32,000 – 12,000 (RMD) – 10,000 (half SS) = $10,000. You may add $10,000 of capital gains or other income and you SS will still not be taxable
philruh

RMD?

Required Minimum Distribution.  When you turn 70 1/2 you have to start taking the RMD from your IRA and 401K accounts.

"my only income is social security, and the required withdrawal since I am over 70-1/2"
 <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4093633-i-paid-zero-tax-in-2016-what-is-the-max-i-can-earn-for-201...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies