Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to report the sale of my home on Form 8949 because I received a Form 1099-S, but because my capital gain is excludable TurboTax won't generate a Form 8949. Help!

I've read the instructions for Forms 1040 Sch. D and 8949.  I just need to enter the proceeds on Form 8949 and then net the whole thing out to 0 in column (g), using the code "H" in column (f).  This would be perfectly easy to do manually.  But if there's a way to do that using TurboTax, I don't know what it is (I'm using the online version if that makes any difference).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I need to report the sale of my home on Form 8949 because I received a Form 1099-S, but because my capital gain is excludable TurboTax won't generate a Form 8949. Help!

Are you entering it as an investment sale? That's not the right place. There's a special topic for sale of your home. It will ask you if you got a 1099-S.

Click the Federal Taxes tab.
Click Wages & Income
Click "I'll choose what I work on" or "Jump to a full list."
On the screen "Your 2016 Income Summary," scroll all the way down to the last section, "Less Common Income."
Click the Start, Update, or Revisit button for "Sale of Home (gain or loss)."

Thanks, rjs.  But nope, that's what I've been doing.  I fill out the "Sale of Home (gain or loss)" section accurately and TurboTax refuses to give me a Form 8949 when I review my return, presumably because my whole gain is excludable.  But the Form 8949 instructions still require me to report the gain and then net it out, because I received a Form 1099-S.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Here's what happens when I try it. Are you not seeing the screens that I get?

After I enter the sale and answer a bunch of questions, I get a screen with the heading "Exclusion of Gain" that says the sale does not have to be reported unless I received a Form 1099-S. When I click Continue on that screen, the next screen has the heading "Include Sale of Home in Return." At the bottom of that screen there is a checkbox that says "Include my sale of home on my return." It tells you to be sure to check that box if you received a Form 1099-S. When I check that box and click Continue, Form 8949 with code H is included in the return.

How are you looking at the return? In TurboTax Online the only way to see all the forms is to print the return, and you have to pay the TurboTax fees before you can print. If you just view the return online you see only the main form - the 1040.

rjs-  THANK YOU!  I just now tried again and got exactly the screen you describe, and checked the box.  And I went to the "print center" to see my returns (I already paid) and saw everything just as it should be.  

I don't know what I was doing wrong, but I wasn't getting that last screen before.  The only thing I can think of is that I did it the first time in the normal home sale screen (not the "less common" option) and didn't see it, and after that I kept navigating away before the last screen?  Anyway, whatever the case, it's fixed.  Thank you!
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Resolved in comments above.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies