turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Report Stock Gift in Turbo Tax

A Gift of Stock was transferred into my Broker account. I have a 1099, with unknown Cost basis. Turbo Tax will not allow my to tag this as a gift. 

I do not know how to record this in turbo tax. I know the cost basis, the purchase date of the stock.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Go back to the interview where you entered to 1099-B information.

Click the blue "Guide me step-by-step" button and select the "uncommon situations" button.  Select "stock", enter the missing information - probably only shares - and then select "I received this stock as a gift."  TurboTax will elicit the required information - basis and FMV at date of gift - and properly report the trade.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Go back to the interview where you entered to 1099-B information.

Click the blue "Guide me step-by-step" button and select the "uncommon situations" button.  Select "stock", enter the missing information - probably only shares - and then select "I received this stock as a gift."  TurboTax will elicit the required information - basis and FMV at date of gift - and properly report the trade.

Tom Young

pricey13

Is this a necessary step [i.e. to report every gifted stock as a gift]? I ask for 2 reasons. (1) It is cumbersome to manually enter this info for hundreds of gifted stocks (2) I downloaded the desktop software with hopes of there  being a shortcut to mark all stocks as 'gifts' but instead I ran into a separate issue; it's not even asking me for this info. Is it important that I resolve this issue or not a risk to submit without identifying every gifted stocks? Thanks, 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No, you will need to report each sale individually as a gifted stock in Turbo Tax online. I tried to see if this option was an option for summary sales but it wasn't. The option never appeared in the summary section nor in the desktop version.

You can still summarize these transactions in both versions of the TT product instead of reporting them individually. The cost basis of the gifted stock is determine by the lower of  the giver's original cost basis or the fair market value (FMV) of the stock at the time you received the gift.

Tax treatment of the gifted stock is not treated any differently than other stock sales as long as the right basis is determined.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies