turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Rental"......what should I do?

What should I do.

I own "rental". Purchased for daughter after her divorce. She pays no rent. I pay all taxes and maintenance. My income is upper 6 figures so I can't take a current loss (depreciation) even if was receiving rent. Basically capital asset to me. Looking for ideas on "how to own and operate" that has ..some....current benefit.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You do NOT have a rental property ... you have a second home where family lives.  All you can do is deduct RE taxes and mortgage interest on the Sch A if you itemize deductions ... nothing more ... you have nothing to "operate" at this time. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You do NOT have a rental property ... you have a second home where family lives.  All you can do is deduct RE taxes and mortgage interest on the Sch A if you itemize deductions ... nothing more ... you have nothing to "operate" at this time. 

Carl
Level 15

What you describe is not a rental or any other form of business property, as you are not utilizing it in any way to produce income of any type. You own a second home, and that's it. Based on the information provided, nothing concerning this property is reported on SCH E or SCH C. The only deductions you "may" qualify for (depending on your income) are property taxes and mortgage insurance as a SCH A itemized deduction.

Should you actually start renting the property in the future, then you will convert it from personal use property to residential rental property. But with family living in the house, if you are not charging the FMRV then it's still personal use.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies