Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental Property in another state

I've seen a few posts where some touch on this topic.  I purchased a home out of state in which my parents will be moving into with the expectation they will eventually start paying rent and sell their old house.  I've put quite a bit of money into cleaning, painting, refurbishing the place so they could move in, so I'm assuming a significant net rental loss when I tally up the receipts.  If I'm understanding correctly, I (1) don't necessarily need to file in the non-resident state, but it's recommended for the potential carryover into the new year and (2) need to include in my resident and federal return.  And if my parents aren't able to pay rent for the next several months, I just continue to operate at a loss?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

The situation you described is a 'not for profit' rental.  This means that you are receiving less than the fair rental value for the property as income.  As such, you cannot claim any rental expenses for the property.  

When/if your parents start paying you a fair rental value for the property, then you can claim the rental expenses.  At that time, the money that you have spent making improvements to the property can be added to the basis for depreciation.  

If they do not pay you a fair rental value for the property, but you do receive rent, then you would report your income on your return.  Your expenses would be limited to your income though.  

In general, you would not file a non-resident return for the state where the property is located unless you have a profit from renting the property.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

The situation you described is a 'not for profit' rental.  This means that you are receiving less than the fair rental value for the property as income.  As such, you cannot claim any rental expenses for the property.  

When/if your parents start paying you a fair rental value for the property, then you can claim the rental expenses.  At that time, the money that you have spent making improvements to the property can be added to the basis for depreciation.  

If they do not pay you a fair rental value for the property, but you do receive rent, then you would report your income on your return.  Your expenses would be limited to your income though.  

In general, you would not file a non-resident return for the state where the property is located unless you have a profit from renting the property.  

Thank you! I closed on the property in October, and they still haven't moved in yet.  Would the timing alter anything you mention? 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, the timing would allow you to claim some deductions for the property as second home.

Some things you could deduct on your 2019 return would be the property taxes that you paid, and the mortgage interest (if any) as long as you are not already deducting interest for more than one home.  Since it is not yet being rented (fair rental or not), it can be considered your second home for 2019.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies