Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Warmark

Rental Property/Depreciation/Home Sale

I purchased a property/home in 2006, lived in it till I moved out and rented it out in 2013, and I sold the property/home in 2019 after my tenant moved out. TurboTax walked me through rental income AND it asked me if I sold the rental property, which I said yes, and went through the items along with depreciation. Then there is ANOTHER tab at the end of INCOME where I can enter in all of the buying/selling information AGAIN along with the ADJUSTED COST BASIS.

Which am I to use in TurboTax? The selling of a RENTAL HOME or a SOLD HOME or both?!? Is there an advantage to either?

Thank you for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If the last occupant to move out of the property prior to the sale was a renter, then you report the sale in the Rental & Royalty Income (SCH E) section of the program. Nowhere else.

The only way you would report the sale in another section, would be if, at the time the property was placed in service, it's FMV was less than what you paid for it.

Depreciation is based on the *LOWER* of what you paid for the property, or it's FMV at the time you placed it in service.  In your case, it is very likely that your FMV when you placed the property in service in 2013, was lower than what you paid for it in 2006 when you purhcased it. If this is the case, then you can "NOT" report the sale in the Rental & Royalty Income (SCH E) section of the program. You have to report it in the "Sale of Business Property" section instead, so that you can use the actual amount you paid for the property as your cost basis to determine your "real" taxable gain on the sale.

So work back through the rental property asset again and let me know if the "COST" is less than what you actually paid for the property. I'll then give you the procedures and guidance for "correctly" reporting your sale so as to lower your taxable gain on that sale.

Warmark

Carl,

Thank you so much for responding. I am a rookie when it comes to taxes and I had MANY things happen in 2019. Here are some figures and hopefully you can assist me to figure it out:

2006: purchased home for 360k (plus 5k for fees, etc)

2013: moved out rented house out. Fair Market Value at that time was somewhere around 270k or so.

2019: tenant moved out, sold home for 365k (plus 12k for fees, commissions, etc)

* I did not live on the property in the last 24 months, so it's not my primary residence.

* I do not know where "depreciation" should come into play.

Thoughts? Again, thank you for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies