turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ppuglia03

Why does it state my IRA contribution of $6,500 is not permitted when I had $45,000 of commercial rental income?

Why does Turbo tax states my 2018 IRA contribution of $6,500 is "not permitted" because I do not have earned income but I have a significant amount of commercial rental income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why does it state my IRA contribution of $6,500 is not permitted when I had $45,000 of commercial rental income?

Rental income is passive income and is not eligible for IRA contributions.  You must have taxable compensation to contribute to an IRA.

Generally, compensation is what you earn from working.  

Go to IRS Publication 590-A Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) page 6 for definitions of compensation - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf3page=6

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Rental income is passive income and is not eligible for IRA contributions.  You must have taxable compensation to contribute to an IRA.

Generally, compensation is what you earn from working.  

Go to IRS Publication 590-A Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs) page 6 for definitions of compensation - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590a.pdf3page=6

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies