turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dqfico-1

Refinanced in 1/2020 and took cash out to remodel kitchen. Due to covid 19 I have not started remodel yet. Can I still write off interest as home improvements?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Refinanced in 1/2020 and took cash out to remodel kitchen. Due to covid 19 I have not started remodel yet. Can I still write off interest as home improvements?

It depends.  Since you did not use the proceeds in 2020 to improve your home you can see if you fall into one of the rules below.

Mortgage treated as used to buy, build, or substantially improve home.

A mortgage secured by a qualified home may be treated as home acquisition debt, even if you don't actually use the proceeds to buy, build, or substantially improve the home. This applies in the following situations.

1. You buy your home within 90 days before or after the date you take out the mortgage. The home acquisition debt is limited to the home's cost, plus the cost of any substantial improvements within the limit described below in (2) or (3). (See Example 1, later.)

2. You build or substantially improve your home and take out the mortgage before the work is completed. The home acquisition debt is limited to the amount of the expenses incurred within 24 months before the date of the mortgage.

3. You build or substantially improve your home and take out the mortgage within 90 days after the work is completed. The home acquisition debt is limited to the amount of the expenses incurred within the period beginning 24 months before the work is completed and ending on the date of the mortgage. (See Example 2, later.)

If you complete the improvements in 2021, then the full amount of your mortgage interest would be deductible in 2021, and this loan is secured by your main home.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies