Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the mortgage insurance on my rental property for 2018. The property was purchased in Aug 2006 and refinanced in 2015.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I deduct the mortgage insurance on my rental property for 2018. The property was purchased in Aug 2006 and refinanced in 2015.

@TJC wrote:

The original question here is if Mortgage Insurance is deductible for rental properties. The asnwer to that question is "yes". See the info from the IRS website.

The vast majority of the posts you read on this board that are dated in June of 2019 (or thereabout) were transferred from another board and are older than the post date (i.e., they were not posted on the date that appears on the post).

The PMI deductiblity has been the subject of tax extenders from time-to-time and some messages were posted during a time period when deductibility was in doubt due to legislative stonewalling.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

No, you can deduct mortgage insurance premiums for a rental property.

I clicked on the link and it seems like you cannot.  Maybe it changed since you posted the link that reads: 

Question
Can you deduct private mortgage insurance (PMI) premiums on rental property? If so, which line item on Schedule E?
Answer

No, you can’t claim a deduction for private mortgage insurance premiums.

@quickstep25 wrote:

I clicked on the link and it seems like you cannot.

Yes, it expired at the end of 2017.

See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/can-i-deduct-private-mortgage-insuranc...

TJC

The original question here is if Mortgage Insurance is deductible for rental properties. The asnwer to that question is "yes". See the info from the IRS website.

Question
Can you deduct mortgage insurance premiums on rental property?
Answer

In general, you can deduct mortgage insurance premiums in the year paid. However, if you prepay the premiums for more than one year in advance, for each year of coverage you can deduct only the part of the premium payment that will apply to that year. Report the deduction on line 9 of Schedule E (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), Supplemental Income and Loss.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/sale-or-trade-of-business-depreciation-rentals/rental-expenses/rental-expen...

@TJC wrote:

The vast majority of the posts you read on this board that are dated in June of 2019 (or thereabout) were transferred from another board and are older than the post date (i.e., they were not posted on the date that appears on the post).

The PMI deductiblity has been the subject of tax extenders from time-to-time and some messages were posted during a time period when deductibility was in doubt due to legislative stonewalling.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies