turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

With 33.33% ownership in a rental property, entering 100% of the income, shows 100% of the rental income and only 33.33 % of expenses in the summary page. Is this right?

I have 33.33% ownership in a rental property, I have selected the option \"Yes, I will enter total amounts and have TurboTax calculate 33.33%\". I understand, I should enter full 100% expenses and TurboTax will calculate my 33.33%. But, if I enter 100% of the income, in the summary page it shows 100% of the rental income and only 33.33 % of expenses. I am confused if turbotax is considering 100% or 33.33% of the income for the calculations. My question is, in this situation, how should I enter the rental income, 33.33% of my portion or 100% of the rental income. Also note, I got a 1099-MISC for my portion (33.33%) of rent from the business that is renting our property. (Same situation with my other 2 partners)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

With 33.33% ownership in a rental property, entering 100% of the income, shows 100% of the rental income and only 33.33 % of expenses in the summary page. Is this right?

The 3 of you are supposed to file a partnership return unless you elected a corporation status.  That return will give each of you a k-1 form to file with your personal taxes. You can't file 1/3 ownership of a house legally on your Sch E.

First, do what I suspect is a partnership return for the 3 of you using TurboTax Business. Then you can file your taxes with the k-1 form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies