turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is turbo tax not reporting my capital gains from an installment sale as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Why is turbo tax not reporting my capital gains from an installment sale as income?

The principal you receive each year is reported on Schedule D, and the interest is reported on Schedule B.

Once you have paid for your return (or are using the desktop version) you can see the calculations on Form 6252.

Click this link for more info on Reporting Installment Sale Income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am using the desktop windows version of TurboTax Home and Business 2020. The information on my form 6252 is not flowing through to the Schedule D.

In 2017 and 2018, TurboTax created both a form 6252 and a 4797. In 2019 it appears to have only created a 4797, which I did not realize until I was trying to figure out this year's return. I have checked the same check boxes in the same interview section through all of these years, so I don't understand why it is creating different forms in different years. However, I do know in all of these years, it reported the gain on line 11 of Schedule D.

TurboTax Home/Business 2020 windows desktop version is not creating the 4797, only the 6252 and the gain figure on 6252 is NOT flowing through to Schedule D, line 11b.

Here is a TurboTax article about installment sale income, and an FAQ with instructions on how to enter an installment sale in TurboTax.

@mickeyphilli

Same thing happened to me. It has something to do with Part One that never had to be filled out for subsequent years. I no longer know what the sale price was on the land I sols many years ago. The interest prints out on Schedule B but the principle doesn't print out on Schedule D and the Forms for Installment Sales don't print out with my return! No way to override it and enter the Principle myself on Schedule D! :(

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies