turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drtvinp
Returning Member

Why does my expense summary in rental property not match what I entered or what is calculated? (e.g. interest, insurance, depreciation)

Mortgage interest is showing nearly $2k less, and depreciation is showing $3k less, and insurance about $500 less than actual.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why does my expense summary in rental property not match what I entered or what is calculated? (e.g. interest, insurance, depreciation)

First, ignore the summary pages.  Look at the actual tax return (Schedule E).

Second, did you enter any "personal" days?  Or was it a rental the entire year?

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If you're talking about the "Net Income Summary" screen, it's because your depreciation is included in that expense amount. Remember, that screen is just a summary. Nothing more. Nothing less.

drtvinp
Returning Member

Yes the net income is showing $0, but I am talking about the expense detail.  For example,  I entered a mortgage interest of 4370 - on the expense detail, and expense detail comparison from the year before it is showing 2909 - not at all what I entered.  The depreciation was also calculated at somewhere around 3900 but on the expense detail page, it shows around 810.  This is also occurring for insurance, and a couple of other items.  Shouldn't it reflect exactly what I enter, and shouldn't the depreciation be reflected the same?  I fear this is leading miscalculations in my return.  I've never had this happen before and I've had this rental for nearly ten years with both ups and downs.

drtvinp
Returning Member

Yes the net income is showing $0, but I am talking about the expense detail.  For example,  I entered a mortgage interest of 4370 - on the expense detail, and expense detail comparison from the year before it is showing 2909 - not at all what I entered.  The depreciation was also calculated at somewhere around 3900 but on the expense detail page, it shows around 810.  This is also occurring for insurance, and a couple of other items.  Shouldn't it reflect exactly what I enter, and shouldn't the depreciation be reflected the same?  I fear this is leading miscalculations in my return.  I've never had this happen before and I've had this rental for nearly ten years with both ups and downs.

First, ignore the summary pages.  Look at the actual tax return (Schedule E).

Second, did you enter any "personal" days?  Or was it a rental the entire year?

drtvinp
Returning Member

There was some time that it was not rented - about 3 months.  I used that time to clean it up and get it ready for the next tenant.  

As I asked before, did you enter any "personal" days?

drtvinp
Returning Member

Ok it looks like I did actually put in personal days!  I must not have been paying attention when I first did it.  I  fixed it and it changed everything.

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies