turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

madler21

Turbo Tax - Real Estate Asset Disposition Error

In Turbo Tax Business, Under Rental Real Estate Income & Expenses, there is a section titled "Dispose of Rental Real Estate Property".  In this section, I accidentally disposed of the wrong asset (carpet instead of compressor) and now I can't seem to 'undispose' it (ie: can't uncheck the box!)  How do I get this asset back into turbo tax without having to reenter all the historical data for it's depreciation etc...??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You can try entering Forms Mode and working with the Asset entry worksheet, but if you saved the file after the "accident", then you will have to re-enter the data.

Carl
Level 15

There are two problems with doing anything in forms mode.

- You have a "HIGH" risk that you will not be able to e-file the return.

- You will automatically negate and cancel the TurboTax 100% Accuracy guarantee.

There's a better way. Not simpler way, but better way, to do this so you don't take the above risks. But first, I need to know what you're dealing with here. Are you completing a 1065 return? 1120-S return? Or 1120 return? Is this for residential rental real estate? Or commercial rental real estate that you own and rent out? I'm not clear at all on this, becuase the "carpet" would be for one of those two types of real estate. But a compressor? Maybe you're talking about a central air conditioner compressor? Or it could be an air compressor that you rent out in your business, and now you sold or otherwise disposed of it.

So give me some details here and I"ll probably be able to help you recover from this error without taking the aforementioned risk, or having to re-enter everything concerning the asset from scratch.

@Carl wrote:

- You have a "HIGH" risk that you will not be able to e-file the return.

There is actually ZERO risk provided no overrides are done. As long as figures entered do not appear in red, the return can be e-filed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies