Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxes on RSU's sold and personal trading loss

Hello,

I have sold some of my RSU's this year, example 90000$. In that 80000 is short-term and remaining is long-term.  RSU's stocks are in one stock broker (Say, Fidelity).

And as part of my personal trading, I have around 55000$ loss. All of them are short-term. This is with another stock brocker (Say, Robinhood).

Now, when I file my taxes in next march - april, how does the taxing work ? My loss in personal trading will it get added with gains in RSU sales and in total I will have 35000$ gains, for which I will have to pay tax ? Or for the 55000 loss, do I have to claim 3000$ every year? 

Can someone help me to know about this, I really appreciate this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

ALL cap gains /losses from ALL sources are netted together on the form 8949 & Sch D.  If your result is a loss then up to $3000 of cap loss can be taken against ordinary income and the rest is carried forward. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

ALL cap gains /losses from ALL sources are netted together on the form 8949 & Sch D.  If your result is a loss then up to $3000 of cap loss can be taken against ordinary income and the rest is carried forward. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

is the 90K the proceeds or the gain?  RSU's have basis.   if it gains you will have $25K of income taxed as ordinary income and $10K taxed as long-term capital gains 

based on the example numbers you provided, the short term numbers are netted against each other, so that is $25,000 of net short term gain (net the $80k and the $55k together) and then there is the $10,000 long term gain. 

there are no 'carry over' losses so the $3,000 loss limit does not have any impact in this situation. 

I think you are right.. it looks like it is proceeds :(

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies