turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Liability

Hello,

If I sell a stock (i.e. AAPL) in my Traditional/Roth IRA accounts and immediately buy the same stock in my non-retirement accounts, will that trigger tax liability? Just to be clear, I'm not taking any money out of my retirement accounts (i'm just trying to move a specific stock out of my retirement accounts).

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Tax Liability

Only distributions from a retirement account causes a tax liability situation on your return.  Selling a stock in a retirement account is not a taxable situation  no more than buying a stock in the IRA. .. sort of like the "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" moto.

What you then do in a non retirement account is immaterial to what happened in "Vegas".  

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Tax Liability

Only distributions from a retirement account causes a tax liability situation on your return.  Selling a stock in a retirement account is not a taxable situation  no more than buying a stock in the IRA. .. sort of like the "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" moto.

What you then do in a non retirement account is immaterial to what happened in "Vegas".  

Tax Liability

No.  Selling in a IRA Account is not a taxable event unless you take out a withdrawal or cash or the actual shares.  Can I ask what you are going to do with the sale proceeds in the IRA Account?  Buy another stock or leave it in cash inside the IRA?

Tax Liability

what you have done produces no tax liability nor any other tax issues.  however, many taxpayers are not aware that if they sell a stock in a taxable account at a loss and then within 30 days before or after the sale buy identical stock in any of their retirement accounts they trigger the loss sale rules. the loss is disallowed and can never be recovered.   

Tax Liability

@Mike9241   What about the other way around?  Sell in IRA then buy in the taxable account.

Tax Liability

@VolvoGirl 

Since losses in your IRA are never reported, they cannot be disallowed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies