Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Flozfzx

Stocks, retirement

Hi, i forgot to file my 2018 stocks gains how can i file them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Stocks, retirement

As long as you have already filed the original 2018 tax return....and have either received the original refund....or paid the original balance due...….You can follow the instructions provided in the help page below:

1)  The link below provides tow selections....one for folks who used the ONLINE software, and another or those who used the Desktop software....be sure you select the correct sub-link.

2)   Essentially, you just follow their directions, start the special Amend process, and add in all your new data.  The AMEND process monitors what changes are made.  IF you used the Online software, and your added changes require you to upgrade to a higher version, then you will have to pay for the upgrade [for Online users, Premier ((or SE))  is required for stock transactions.  Desktop folks can use any version].

3) When done, you print out your amended tax returns (Fed and state)....and you have to take it to the Post Office yourself to mail it in....it cannot be e-filed.  Federal forms go to one address...state forms go separately to your state (if you are in an income taxing state)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-a-return-in-turbotax/00/27579

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Stocks, retirement

I'm confused by the juxtaposition of the words "stocks" and "retirement".  Why was that?  You talked about the stock aspect but were silent on the retirement aspect.

If your gains on sales of securities in 2018 were inside retirement accounts, those trades and those gains are not reported anywhere on your income tax return.  Is that your situation?

Stocks, retirement

@TomYoung 

...Good Catch...I mentally skipped over the "Retirement" part

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies