turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rental property full depreciated; no rental income since 2018; renovated property 2019-2020; sold property Jun 2020- how to report renovated & settlement expenses?

Rental property full depreciated; no rental income since 2018; renovated property 2019-2020; sold property Jun 2020- how to report renovated & settlement expenses?  I have Premier Turbo Tax.  Going around in circles.  What am I doing wrong???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Rental property full depreciated; no rental income since 2018; renovated property 2019-2020; sold property Jun 2020- how to report renovated & settlement expenses?

Add these expenses to the basis of the property and just add one amount.

I bought Premier Turbo Tax (used to buy Deluxe).  Tried to enter data but go caught up in circles.  Could you please advise me of the initial steps?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You need to enter it in the section Sales of Business Property, since it was not rented in 2020. Print out any depreciation worksheets and back up for passive losses if there were any. You will delete the Schedule E once you have your needed information.

Type Sale of Business Property in the SEARCH box in the upper right hand corner of your return. Click the "jump to" and it will take you there.

Since you won't have all the information preloaded, you can answer the basis question by just putting in the one figure. You will need to calculate everything and manually enter.

Thank you for your answer.  I humbly apologize for my late reply.  I replied using email.  Didn't realize it wouldn't transmit.  New with system got lost.  Anyway . . . 

I could not rent my rental property entire 2020 but had it advertised for rent or sale via circulars for during 2020.

Under Rental property income, I entered =0; usual + new repair expenses totaled $9K.  Had new cabinets, carpeting, & appliances added to asset value (not expensed).

After I entered all rental expenses, I went to Sale of Property/Depreciation, where it asked whether I added to rental properties which were in individual total under $2,500 & other detailed questions which gets the Safe Harbor ruling involved.  Has become complicated.

Should I have bypassed this & gone straight to Sold business properties?  
When I proceeded to Sale of Business Property; at cost of Property I indicated what I originally paid for the rental property 30 years ago & added assets additions & closing expenses.   

What should I have done?

Add the expenses to the base of the property?  I thought only assets were added and expense were added to rental expenses?

I had added renovation expenses to rental expenses despite -0- rental income.  I added asset items = new cabinets, appliances, carpeting to cost of asset sold accompanied w settlement charges, cost of property - which was deducted as it was fully depreciated.  What did I do wrong that Premier Turbo Tax keeps getting me involved w Safe Harbor forms and procedures?   Should I list expenses and bypass Sale of Property/Depreciation and go straight to Sale of Business property?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

No, that is not the correct way to do it. Improvements are depreciated and any associated repairs are included in the improvement. If you did not rent in 2020, there is no reason to include them there. Add them to the basis of the property. Improvements are always added to the basis of property. 

Thank you so much for helping me.  Torepeat as I do want to do the right thing...

I went to "RENTAL PROPERTIES & ROYALTIES", entered management/condo fees, ins, repairs, etc.

Then went to "SALE OF PROPERTY?DEPRECIATION".  Here's where I wind up seeing Rental Real Estate Harbor Safe Statement, Se lion 1.263(a)-1(f) De Minimus Safe Harbor Election sheets whenever I print.  

It asks, "Did you buy any items for rental property that costs $2,500 or less in 2020".  Yes.  that would be the new kitchen cabinets, appliances, & carpeting.  These were part of & acquired during late 2019 renovations (no one rented the place with responsibility to renovate on their own with rent compensation) that were not completed until beginning of 2020.  

Then I am offered the option to expense all the items as they are less than $2,500 and advised to list them as miscellaneous expense NOT assets.   I did so but when I printout it includes safe harbor papers.  Is this right?  With this Safe Harbor can I still transmit or am I mandated to mail in?

Again thank you for helping me.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The most important issue to clarify before you finalize your tax return is to make sure you did not include the repairs twice.

Since your expenses are less than $2,500 and you did NOT add them as capital improvements in the asset section, then you are writing off the expense under rental income and expenses.  This is what the 'Safe Harbor' is all about.  You answered the questions to indicate you wanted to make this choice.  

After making the choice then the expenses you have chosen to use under Safe Harbor are recorded under miscellaneous expenses in the rental activity section (as you stated above Rental Income and Expenses). Check your entry by following the steps here.  DO NOT enter this same expense as an asset. These instructions show you the original question and how to enter the expense when this option is chosen.

To record this in TurboTax use the following steps.

1. When you come to the screen, under Assets (no you don't want to go directly to the asset summary) Did you buy any items that each cost $2,500 or less in 2020? mark the Yes button and click Continue
  2. On the screen Let's see if you qualify to deduct these items as expensesmark both of the Yes buttons and click Continue.
  3. On the Now, let's review each item you bought screen, mark whether all your new assets cost $2500 or less. 
  4. If you mark that every item cost $2,500 or less, you will be brought to the Asset Summary screen.  You have elected the De Minimis Safe Harbor provision.  
    1. Here's how to add your purchases that are $2,500 or less as Miscellaneous Expenses:
    2. Select Common Expenses (may have to select 'Show More') Continue and then Add expenses for this work.
    3. Choose Other miscellaneous expenses.
    1. Description (Safe Harbor-iPad) and amount 

Do NOT add these expenses again as part of the sale.  They are already used to reduce income at 100% of cost and are NOT part of the sale in this situation.

Lastly, follow the instructions above to enter your rental sale of the original assets (land, building) if they are not shown in your tax return as assets on your rental property.  If they are listed as assets in TurboTax, then in the Asset section select each asset and indicate they were sold, enter the requested sales information and TurboTax will complete the sale for you.

The selling price should be prorated for each asset then entered for each asset when you indicate they were sold or disposed of. You will not lose the remaining depreciation because you will use the remaining basis against the selling price to determine gain or loss. 

To figure out the selling price for each asset:

1. Take the current basis of each asset against the total combined basis of all of your assets to figure out the sales price for each one; OR 
  2. Determine a fair market value for each asset against the total value of all assets to figure out the sale price for each one. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies