turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Argyle
Returning Member

Rental property depreciation calculation seems incorrect?

My residential rental property was placed in service in 2017.  Value of building subject to depreciation is $82,093.  (Yes, this is the amount entered in TurboTax). Given the 27.5 year recovery period, I would have expected TurboTax to calculate the 2018 depreciation as $82,093 / 27.5 = $2,985?  Instead, the software calculates the annual depreciation for 2018 to be $3,046.  Does anyone have an explanation for the apparently incorrect calculation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@Argyle wrote:

...I would have expected TurboTax to calculate the 2018 depreciation as $82,093 / 27.5 = $2,985?  Instead, the software calculates the annual depreciation for 2018 to be $3,046.  Does anyone have an explanation for the apparently incorrect calculation?

Yes, it most likely has to do with the prior depreciation. if I plug in your figures and a placed-in-service date of 11/11/17, I get the following:

re.png

Check the screen where your prior depreciation is entered and make sure the placed-in-service date and accumulated depreciation entries are correct. If all else fails, delete and re-add the asset.

Carl
Level 15

First, understand that depreciation is not *simple* math. Not even close for the first 2-3 years. For the first *FULL* year of depreciation, it depends on when it was placed in service the prior year, which also dictates which convention is used in that first year - be it HY (Half Year), MQ (mid-quarter) or MM (Mid-month) convention.

Then I would expect that for 2018 your did indicate the property was rented "the whole year" with absolutely no personal use days what-so-ever. Vacant periods between renters does count as days rented, provided you did not live in the property as your primary residence or 2nd home for one single day during those periods of vacancy between renters.

Bottom line is, if you entered the data correctly, then the program figures the depreciation correctly.  THe math is not simple division either.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies