Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxq-2018

Rental property converted to personal home, turbo tax keeps denying depr. and allocated to a vacation property, it is not a vacation property but now my personal residence

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Rental property converted to personal home, turbo tax keeps denying depr. and allocated to a vacation property, it is not a vacation property but now my personal residence

Unless you are selling the residence there is nothing for you to report on the tax return if you converted the property from a rental to your personal primary residence.

Are you selling the home?

Taxq-2018

the property was rented 206 days, then I moved in, I should be able to get depr for part of the year 

Then you indicate that you rented the property for 206 days and did NOT have any days of personal use.

Anonymous
Not applicable

While converting a rental property to a residential property is as simple as just moving in, the financial implications are much more significant. Converting it from a rental to a residence removes your ability to deduct expenses from the property from your taxes. It also changes how it will be treated when you sell it. While you may gain the ability to take advantage of the personal residence capital gains shelter, converting it won't eliminate your depreciation recapture tax liability.

A property becomes residential property once you start living in it for more than two weeks a year or more than 10 percent of the days for which it would be available to rent. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies