Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

muppalas
Returning Member

Procedure to defer Capital Gains through Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ) Investment

I read several posts where it's not possible to do this in FY2018 Turbotax. Can somebody provide step-by-step procedure on how to override it in the forms and manually paperfile the taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Procedure to defer Capital Gains through Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ) Investment

Online Turbo Tax or Desktop program?  No forms or overrides in the Online version.  The Desktop CD/Download program has the Forms Mode where you can override.  Click on Forms in the upper right on Windows or on Left for Mac.

muppalas
Returning Member

Turbotax Home & Business Edition 2018 - Desktop Version. I would appreciate somebody take an example and describe what lines in what forms to be modified. 

@muppalas 

Here's the instructions for reporting the deferral on Form 8949.  If you make the entry in "Forms Mode" you should be able to follow along.  It's a two-step process: you report your gain on one line and then defer the gain on a separate line:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How To Report an Election To Defer Tax on Eligible Gain Invested in a QO Fund

If you elect to defer tax on an eligible gain by investing in a QO Fund, report the eligible gain on the form and in the manner otherwise instructed. For example, individual taxpayers would report gain from the sale of stock on Form 8949 and Schedule D (Form 1040). If the gain is reported on Form 8949, do not make any adjustments for the deferral in column (g).

Report the deferral of the eligible gain on its own row of Form 8949 in Part I with box C checked or Part II with box F checked (depending on whether the gain being deferred is short-term or long-term). If you made multiple investments in different QO Funds or in the same QO Fund on different dates, use a separate row for each investment. If you invested eligible gains of the same character (but from different transactions) on the same date into the same QO Fund, you can group those investments on the same row. In column (a), enter only the EIN of the QO Fund into which you invested. In column (b), enter the date you invested in the QO Fund. Leave columns (c), (d), and (e) blank. Enter code “Z” in column (f) and the amount of the deferred gain as a negative number (in parentheses) in column (g).

Your investment in a QO Fund can be used to defer only long-term gain, only short-term gain, or a combination of both short-term and long-term gain. You do not need to trace or allocate the funds invested in a QO Fund to the specific gain being deferred, but the investment in the QO Fund must have occurred within the 180-day period beginning on the date the deferred gain was realized. If you realized both short-term and long-term gains during the 180-day period you can choose how much of each gain to defer by reporting the deferral in Part I or Part II, as applicable. The character of the eligible gain will survive the investment in the QO Fund. When you recognize the eligible gain (either when you sell or exchange your investment in the QO Fund or December 31, 2026, whichever is earlier), the gain you recognize will be the same character as the gain you deferred.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Tom, 

Thanks a lot for the instruction. If I follow that do I have to file the tax return manually by mail?

@Sean_SF 

I believe if you make "virgin" entries into TurboTax, i.e., not overrides, that you can still e-file.  Try making one reversing entry in Forms Mode and then attempt to file.  TurboTax will tell you if you can e-file or not.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@TomYoung @Sean_SF  There's no way to get the code Z into Form 8949 column (f) without an override.

Note that, besides preventing e-filing, using an override voids the TurboTax accuracy guarantee. An override can cause the TurboTax calculations to break in unexpected ways, resulting in an erroneous tax return. It could cause an error in a place that seems to have nothing to do with the overridden entry. TurboTax simply does not support deferring gain by investing in a qualified opportunity fund. If you force it with an override, you are on your own.

Thank you. I found Lacerte and Drake Tax has already supported it. But I don't have the EFIN so it's impossible to submit electronically by 10/15. I may just file by mail or ask a professional who uses the two software to file it for me.

AndrewL7

Does anybody know whether the 2020 home and business version of turbtax, will allow you to show capital gain tax deferral from investing gains into a Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ)?   I know that 2018 version, you needed a workaround.

If the 2020 version can do it, can I still file electronically?

TT does not and probably will never support that situation.  

txquestions
Returning Member

Please guide me through the procedure to defer Capital Gains through Qualified Opportunity Zone (QOZ).

I received a large payoff of an installment loan in 2021 of a commercial parcel I sold in 2016 and want to re-invest a large portion of that payoff into a QOZ.

Since the TT program doesn't support that situation  I highly recommend you seek local professional guidance in this matter. 

If you do want to attempt this yourself then you will need to get the form  & Instructions from the IRS and complete the form manually and then enter what is needed into the FORMS mode of the Downloaded TT program and the attach the form to the mailed in copy of the return you will post.  It cannot be efiled.  

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8996

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies