Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

djcjdad42
Returning Member

Problem entering second home sale in Investment Income.

Hello,

I am trying to enter the sale of my second home into the investment income section and can't get to the screen that will let me select "Second Home."  

I click on Wages & Income, then click on "Visit All" under "Investment Income." I then get a screen asking "Did you sell any investments in 2020? Under that heading it states Stocks, Bonds, Mutual funds, A Second home, Collectibles and Personal items. It then says "Forms covered in this section: 1099B, 1099S, brokerage statements.

I click "YES", I then get to a screen that says "Did you get a 1099B or a brokerage statements for these sales?  I click on "NO."  

The next screen only says "Tell us about this sale" and has two things to pick from. "I'll enter one sale at a time" OR "I'll enter a summary for each sales category."

Nowhere does it says anything about a second home!  I originally had input all of my taxes up to this section using TurboTax Deluxe, but read you needed Premier to enter a second home, so I downloaded and updated the software to reflect the Premier software.  

The identical screens come up in this section as with deluxe, except a new section added on called "Rental Property and Royalties, which doesn't help me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pulling my hair out!!

Thank You

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You are in the proper section and simply need to enter the information from the sale of your second home.

Note that a subsequent screen will contain a box you will need to check if you sold your second home at a loss since losses from sales of personal use property are not deductible.

Further, if you have ever rented your second home and claimed depreciation deductions, you will need to use a different approach.

Choose :  "I'll enter one sale at a time" and just follow the interview screens.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies