`

My wife and I live/work in Texas (rental), and are considering buying a home in Oklahoma as we plan to settle down there in a few years, considering I won't be living in the house OR earning money in the State of Oklahoma, will I owe state income tax just

No you will not since you will have no income from OK and OK will not be your state of residence  so don't homestead the property. 

Willl you be renting out the OK home in the meantime?

Nonresidents are required to file an Oklahoma income tax return when they receive gross income of at least $1,000 of Oklahoma source income.

We will not be renting the home or earning any money in the State of Oklahoma. My only concern at this point is that our "home" in Houston is an Apartment. We would be in the State of Oklahoma approx. one month a year (several 2 - 4 day visits)

You will not file an OK return just for visiting a property you own.

Looking for any updates to this question.  I also want to purchase a home in Oklahoma but will work in Texas only and split time living in Texas and Oklahoma.  No income from the state of Oklahoma.  Confirming I will not have to file an Oklahoma tax return. 

@DannyT wrote:

Your question is the exact opposite of the question that started this conversation.

In general, if you are a resident of state A (and if state A has a state income tax) you must file a state A income tax return and report all your world-wide income and pay tax on it, no matter where it is earned.  If you live in OK and work in TX, you will owe state income tax in OK.  

If you live in state A and work in state B, you sometimes also owe tax in state B.  This gets tricky, and state A usually gives a tax credit for taxes paid in state B, so your total state tax will not be higher than the higher of state A or B would be alone.  But since Texas does not have a state income tax, that is not an issue for you.  If you will be a resident of Oklahoma, you will owe Oklahoma state income tax on all your income no matter where you work.

It may be possible to arrange things so that you are a resident of Texas and a non-resident (visitor) in Oklahoma, but if you arrange it that way on paper only and not in real life, Oklahoma will still try and tax you and that's when things get real ugly.  States bordering Texas all know this trick.   You need to be a bona fide resident of Texas, and a worker in Texas, to not pay income tax in another state where you have a home and spend significant time.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
**If a post answers your question, choose it by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer".**