Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Like Kind exchange 50% owner of property

I sold an investment property that I was 50% owner of and used a 1031 exchange.  We then purchased another property together.  How do I answer the questions on the like-kind exchange?  Do I only enter 50% of the sale info and the purchase info of the new property?

2 Replies
Level 15

Like Kind exchange 50% owner of property

Hopefully, the closing agent (1031 Qualified Intermediary) provided the appropriate tax (and other) documentation for the transaction.


Regardless, you will use 50% for reporting purposes provided, of course, that you each held title in your individual names (i.e., this needs to be reported at the entity level if you have a partnership, LLC, et al).

ratings image
Expert Alumni

Like Kind exchange 50% owner of property

Yes, you would only report your share (50%) of the sale and the purchase of the new property in TurboTax.    If you have additional questions in regards to your 1031 exchange, here is a link to IRS's Form 8824 Instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies