Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Land value used in depreciation

I started renting out a room in my home last year. In the depreciation process, do I use the land value at the time I purchased my home in 2008, or the current land value? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Land is not depreciable. Your can only depreciate the home itself (improvements) over 27.5 years.

You should use your cost price. Your cost price must be divided into Land (not depreciable) and the home (Improvements), using the ratio in the taxable values used by the appraisal district.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Should I use the land price in 2008 when I purchased the home or the land price today, I would think 2008 but I don't know. Thank you

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

When depreciating a converted property, you choose the lower of adjusted basis or the Fair Market Value on the conversion date. If basis is lower, use the date of purchase for land. If the FMV is higher, use date of conversion price.

Thank you, wanted to double check your last sentence, I think you meant to use the word "lower" for the word "higher", is that correct?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, it should be lower in both cases.

Carl
Level 15

When converting real estate or any part of real estate from personal use to business use, the depreciation is based on the *LESSER* of what you paid for it, or it's FMV at the time the property was placed "in service" in the business. I seriously doubt the FMV of the property at the time placed in service, is less than what you paid for it. So you'll use the price you paid for the property since that's the lesser value.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies