turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is Selling Stocks Considered Income?

I have some stocks that I’ve held on for a while now that I plan sell. I already know all about capital gains, but what if I sell a stock but I don’t withdraw the money. Will it still be considered that I got income? Asking because I am currently under unemployment benefits and Im wondering if its worth selling my stock or risk losing my benefit for a small bit of extra cash. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@enclaust wrote:

....what if I sell a stock but I don’t withdraw the money....? 

Any gain (or loss) is still recognized regardless of what you do with the proceeds, whether that involves spending the proceeds, purchasing other stock or securities, or just leaving the proceeds in cash in your account at the brokerage firm.

In short, the capital gains would still be subject to taxation but note that such gains would ordinarily not have any adverse impact on your unemployment benefits.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@enclaust wrote:

....what if I sell a stock but I don’t withdraw the money....? 

Any gain (or loss) is still recognized regardless of what you do with the proceeds, whether that involves spending the proceeds, purchasing other stock or securities, or just leaving the proceeds in cash in your account at the brokerage firm.

In short, the capital gains would still be subject to taxation but note that such gains would ordinarily not have any adverse impact on your unemployment benefits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies