Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lenn0n19

If I have a mutual fund investment account that originated as a custodial account, was my investment considered a gift? Or did I technically purchase it?

My grandparents set up a custodial account when I was a child and I did not come into control over it until I was in my 20s. I did not technically purchase the shares myself, but I still owned the account. Is this considered a gift or did I purchase the property?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If I have a mutual fund investment account that originated as a custodial account, was my investment considered a gift? Or did I technically purchase it?

Neither.   A custodial account was purchased in your behalf and became your account when  you became an adult.    If you sell the fund then your basis is what it was originally purchased for.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
lenn0n19

Ok, so then what dropdown option do I choose for the question "how did you receive this investment?" 

Options are I purchased it, I inherited it, I received it in a divorce settlement, I received it as a gift, and I received it from a demutualization of a life insurance company.

Tax wise there is no difference between a custodial account and a gift since it was given to you by your grandparents.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@lenn0n19 

For simplicity of entry just say Purchased ... it is a faster path. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

For tax purposes, you "purchased" the shares.

The gift occurred when the money was put in the account.  That made it "your" account at the time the shares were purchased.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies