turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I rented out my house in July 2019. Do I put a lower amount in box 1 of form 1098 in the deductions area if I included a portion of it in my rental property expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I rented out my house in July 2019. Do I put a lower amount in box 1 of form 1098 in the deductions area if I included a portion of it in my rental property expenses?

Need more info:

Was this a new rental ? 

Was this a conversion from personal use to rental where you moved out completely ?

Was this your personal residence where you live and you only rented it(or part of it) for a short time but never really moved out ? 

Good Morning,

Yes, this is a new rental.

Yes, it was a conversion from my personal residence to a rental.  I have moved out completely and now live elsewhere.  

Thank you for your help!

Good Evening,

Yes, this is a new rental.

Yes, it was a conversion from my personal residence to a rental.  I have moved out completely and now live elsewhere.  

Thank you for your help!

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

You may have to do some kind of allocation. The rest will go to your schedule E as expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Follow the interview questions carefully ... you can either prorate the common expenses between the Sch A and Sch E yourself  OR allow the program to do it for you  but either way  you MUST pay attention to this screen below ... your personal use days do NOT NOT NOT include the days you lived in the home PRIOR to the conversion ... mess up this screen and the entire section is wrong ...

rental conversion 3.PNGrental conversion 2.PNG

Thank you!  That helps a lot!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies