turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I recently retired and am doing some financial consulting and have a rental property. I am interested in using software to do 2022 estimated taxes. What should I do?

I've used TurboTax in the past.  Can I just buy the software and does it help with estimated tax payments?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I recently retired and am doing some financial consulting and have a rental property. I am interested in using software to do 2022 estimated taxes. What should I do?

None of the products for the 2022 tax year are available at this time.

You can use TaxCaster for 2021 to get a rough estimate.

See https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster

View solution in original post

4 Replies

None of the products for the 2022 tax year are available at this time.

You can use TaxCaster for 2021 to get a rough estimate.

See https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster

Bear in mind that some of the tax laws changed for only 2021, so the 2021 Tax Caster may not accurately predict your 2022 results.   There will be no recovery rebate credit for stimulus checks for 2022, the child tax credit is lower, and the earned income credit reverts to pre-2021 eligibility criteria, among other things.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

You can not do a 2022  preliminary/test return in the online versions of Turbotax. 

If you used the download (or CD) version of TurboTax (TT), that is, you currently have TT 2021 on your computer. Make a copy of your 2021 return (click file / save as). Name it something like "2022 Preliminary" and then replace your 2021 entries with your 2022 estimates. It won't be exact because the program uses 2021 tables and numbers. But, it should be close enough for most purposes. I use the override feature to change the  standard deduction and other numbers, on the forms and worksheets,  where appropriate.

Q.  Does it help with estimated tax payments?

A. Yes, both download and online TT can be used for 2022 estimated payments. 

TurboTax (TT) can prepare the quarterly payment vouchers. In your 2020 software, enter at:

Federal Taxes or Personal (H&B version)

-Other Tax Situations

-Other Tax Forms

-Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes - Click the Start or Update button

On the next screen answer No to the W-4 question

@davidjhawkins - also, the download version has incorported the known tax changes into the 2022 estimate report.  (So the child tax credit goes back to the 'old' way, there is no stimulus, etc.)

the challenge is the best way to use the CD versuib of the software is loading in your 2021 tax return for the best result. Not a necessity but usefule

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies