Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I need to switch from owning house to renting a house

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
VictorW9
Expert Alumni

Please provide additional information so we can answer your question.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

• Hi I'm Julie I just received my refund and it was only 98.00. I WAS SUPPOSE T RECEIVE  311.00 PLEASE CCAN YOU EXPLAIN TO ME WHI DIDNI GET LESS MONEY BACK

@ Juliesturiale wrote:
  • I just received my refund and it was only 98.00. I WAS SUPPOSE T RECEIVE  311.00 PLEASE CCAN YOU EXPLAIN TO ME WHI DIDNI GET LESS MONEY BACK

This is a user community forum, but we can tell you some things to check.  Your topic is completely different from this thread's topic which is about owning/renting a house.   I'm not sure how your question about a refund ended up in this thread, but in any case, here's what to check:

What refund did you receive--a Federal or state refund?   Check the deposit description to see who it was from.  Is it from the IRS/US Treasury, a state tax agency, or an intermediary company? e.g., if you paid any fees out of the refund, it comes from an intermediary bank.

There are several possibilities.  First, what product did you use-- Free Edition, Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed, etc.--and did you choose to pay any fees out of the Federal refund?   If so, in addition to the product fees that option also has a $40 service fee ($45 for California filers.)  Did you have any other add-ons such as MAX benefits, or the Live TurboTax option?

Or are you expecting both Federal and state refunds?   If so, they come separately.  So do not go by any "total refund" or net refund that TurboTax may show you that adds the two.   The amount for the Federal refund is on your Form 1040, Line 21a.

If it was the IRS that reduced your refund, they would normally send you a letter in about 3 or so weeks explaining why.  But these are not normal times.  With the Coronavirus situation, their letters may take longer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies