turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to report the sale of a business. 50k long term capital gains, the remaining reported on 1099. When I enter in Turbo Tax the rate is higher than 15%. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I need to report the sale of a business. 50k long term capital gains, the remaining reported on 1099. When I enter in Turbo Tax the rate is higher than 15%. Why?

The "sale of a business" usually is not on a 1099-misc form ... I highly recommend you upgrade to LIVE for one on one assistance  OR   seek a local tax pro so you get this done correctly. 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Was this a sale of stock transaction or did you sell the assets?  If you sold the assets there may be some items that resulted in ordinary income.  Thus causing a higher tax rate.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

A capital gain will increase your AGI. This can sometimes result in other effects on your taxes. More of you social security benefits become taxable. Your Earned Income Credit is reduce or lost. Other credits are phased out.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies