Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm an onsite apartment manager and my boss added maintenance money [used to repair things at the apartment job] to my taxes as nonemployee compensation what should I do?

He would give us about $200 at a time and we would use it to repair problems that came up and then give him our receipts to prove how much went where. We did not keep any money or use it for any of our personal endeavours.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I'm an onsite apartment manager and my boss added maintenance money [used to repair things at the apartment job] to my taxes as nonemployee compensation what should I do?

You enter the whole amount as income then can enter the expenses you paid for.  Reimbursements would be an expense.  Product and parts would probably be entered as Supplies.  Or you can use line 27a Other Expenses.  Then only the Net Profit (or Loss) on Schedule C goes to your 1040 and gets taxed.

Are you a W-2 employee, and getting a "non-employee comp" form in addition to a W-2, or are you strictly an independent contractor, and the maintenance money is added to your contracted salary on a form 1099-NEC?

as NEC compensation reported to the IRS you need to file schedule C and report the "repairs/maintenance" income which would be offset by the money you paid for the repairs/maintenance. if your 1099-NEC also reports your compensation that would be reported on the same schedule C. along with all your other expenses related to your job as an apartment manager.  

@Mike9241 wrote:

as NEC compensation reported to the IRS you need to file schedule C and report the "repairs/maintenance" income which would be offset by the money you paid for the repairs/maintenance. if your 1099-NEC also reports your compensation that would be reported on the same schedule C. along with all your other expenses related to your job as an apartment manager.  

Not necessarily.  If the manager is a W-2 employee, then the owner/boss is not allowed to make additional payments on a 1099-NEC, and further is completely mishandling his reimbursement policy.  That's why I asked if the manager is an employee or a contractor.  (And in fact, if required to live on site, I would have serious doubts that being treated as a contractor instead of an employee would be permitted.). Not to mention that, if a W-2 employee, the payments might show up on the manager's pay stub but not be included in their W-2 box 1 wages, and we don't want this taxpayer screwing up their taxes by trying to file from a pay stub.

We need more information from @Taxesforpapa 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies