turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have no income for the whole year (do not work). Do I have to pay the capital gains tax on stocks?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I have no income for the whole year (do not work). Do I have to pay the capital gains tax on stocks?

Yes and no.

You have to report the capital gain, if it was more than $12,000* (a single person's filing threshold).  If the gain was less than $50,700, and is a long term gain, you will not pay any tax as long term capital gains (LTCG) are taxed at 0% for people in the lower tax brackets.

* The numbers  are different for people  who can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.  The filing threshold is $1050 and tax will be due on a LTGC greater than $39,750.

Those numbers assume you have no other reportable income.

View solution in original post

Hal_Al
Level 15

You pay 15% on $49,300.

TurboTax will show the tax calculations on the "Qualified Dividends and Capital gains worksheet"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes and no.

You have to report the capital gain, if it was more than $12,000* (a single person's filing threshold).  If the gain was less than $50,700, and is a long term gain, you will not pay any tax as long term capital gains (LTCG) are taxed at 0% for people in the lower tax brackets.

* The numbers  are different for people  who can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.  The filing threshold is $1050 and tax will be due on a LTGC greater than $39,750.

Those numbers assume you have no other reportable income.

Thank you for you respond.

Unfortunately I have to pay the tax on long term gain.

Let's say I have $100,000 in long term gain.

Do I pay 15% on the $100K or $49,300 ($100,000 - $50,700)?

Hal_Al
Level 15

You pay 15% on $49,300.

TurboTax will show the tax calculations on the "Qualified Dividends and Capital gains worksheet"

Thank you!

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies