turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do i file my certificate of rent paid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You do that in your state return when you go through the state interview. It does not go on your Federal return.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

I have already efiled my return. How do I now go in and file my certificate of rent paid?

where can I file my renter

You do that in your state return when you go through the state interview. It does not go on your Federal return.

Where do I mail in my certificate of rent paid

Aware of that but they said you have to mail it in, what is the address on where to send it in?????

@AngelaPluff   Mentioning your state would be helpful.  I am just going to take a guess on MN.

MN RENT CREDIT

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899893-can-i-file-my-m1pr-minnesota-property-tax-refund-through-t...

To check the status of the rent credit in MN

http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/individuals/individ_income/pages/draft-wmr-context-page.aspx

To obtain the refund, the taxpayer must have a CRP, Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP), for each rental unit lived in during the year. The taxpayer's landlord is required to deliver a completed CRP to the taxpayer no later than January 31st of each year.

You will need the CRP to determine your refund, if any, and you must include what is called a Form M1PR with the CRP when it is filed. These forms have to be printed and mailed in to:

Minnesota Property Tax Refund
St. Paul, MN 55145-0020

TurboTax will prepare the Form M1PR for you to print. Towards the end of the step-by-step interview for Minnesota you will reach the Other Forms You May Need screen. To have the M1PR prepared and made available for printing, make sure you check the Property Tax Refund (Form M1PR) check box on the Other Forms You May Need screen, then follow the prompts through the end of the interview.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Taylor337

I filed my cert of rent with turbo tax but I still have the physical copy of the Cert of rent paid. Where do I send it?

Try to find a location

swm3

That's nice, but where specifically in Turbo Tax?  Not seeing it under Payments from Assistance Programs

As you're preparing your Minnesota taxes, look for the Other Forms You May Need screen (towards the end of the interview, past the estimated taxes and extension topics). Check the first box and follow the onscreen instructions.

After the State Elections Campaign Fund and Nongame Wildlife Fund screens, you'll come to the Filing instructions screen. Select Print Form M1PR and mail the printout by August 15 to:

St. Paul, MN 55145-0020

Tip: You can also file your M1PR free of charge at the MN Dept. of Revenue Property Tax Refund site, and if you're a homeowner, you can e-file it through the MN DOR's Property Tax Refund Online Filing System.

@swm3

sjajarso

I didn't get yet how to include M1PR  rental  I paid for the landlord in turbo tax? I'm still straggling no option click button on turbo tax for M1PR  form. I need details here with step how to file M1PR  in turbo tax please!  

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can fill out the M1PR in TurboTax but it has to be mailed in. As you're preparing your Minnesota taxes, look for the Other Forms You May Need screen (towards the end of the interview, past the estimated taxes and extension topics). Check the first box and follow the onscreen instructions.

For complete details see Can I file my M1PR (Minnesota Property Tax Refund) through TurboTax? 

Your household income affects whether you qualify and how much you can receive for the Property Tax Refund. As a renter, your total household income must be less than $62,960 to qualify for a credit up to  $2,210.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Have to mail it in because the Turbo Tax rent rebate form was buggy as hell. 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Mail your Form M1PR to:

Mail Station 0020
600 N. Robert St.
St. Paul, MN 55145-0020

Include an explanation if any of these apply:

• Line 1 does not equal your federal adjusted gross income from line 1 of Form M1
  • Your income is less than the rent you paid (explain how you received the funds to pay your rent)
  • You did not report any income on lines 1-6 (explain how you received the funds to pay your rent)
  • (Homeowners only) You received a recalculation of your prior year’s taxes based on current year’s classification Enclose the worksheet(s) from pages 30 and 31 if you:
  • Claimed a deduction on your federal income tax return for using a portion of your home for business or renting out part of your home to others. (Worksheet 2)
  • (Homeowners only) Are applying for the special property tax refund and your Statement of Property Taxes Payable in 2021 lists an amount for new improvements or expired exclusions (Worksheet 3)
  • Include someone else’s income on line 14 (Worksheet 5) Include the Worksheet for Line 18 if you are a resident of a nursing home, adult foster care home, intermediate care facility, or group home.

Related Resource: 2020 Homestead Credit Refund (for Homeowners) and Renter’s Property Tax Refund

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies