turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a one member LLC that operates as an investment group. We pool outside capital from our members and trade securities. I am wondering how i should file taxes??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I have a one member LLC that operates as an investment group. We pool outside capital from our members and trade securities. I am wondering how i should file taxes??

If this is a single-member LLC (you are the sole owner), then you will file the information for that LLC on your personal income tax return using Schedule C (Self-employed profit and loss). To input your Schedule C LLC activity:

• Sign in to your account and click on the orange Take me to my return button (skip this step if you are already in your return)
  • Click on federal>wages and income>all income>Self-Employment
  • Self-employment income and expenses>start
  • TurboTax will walk you through inputting your business profile>your business income and expenses
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

"We pool outside capital from our members and trade securities"

I agree with @DaveF1006 with respect to your taxes (i.e., single-member LLCs are disregarded).

However,  if you are pooling your funds with other LLC owners, individuals, et al, with an agreement to split profits/losses from investments or trades, then that sounds more like a partnership than anything else.

The foregoing begs the question as to whose taxpayer ID number is on the tax reporting statements (presumably a 1099-B). You might want to seek professional guidance for this scenario to ensure all aspects comport with the arrangement you have with other members of the "group".

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies