turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Berky1

I have a mortgage on my rental property. Where do I enter the mortgage payment as an offsetting expense to rent?

This is not my primary residence.  Also, I'm not asking about mortgage interest or property taxes.  I'm asking about the actual loan payment.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a mortgage on my rental property. Where do I enter the mortgage payment as an offsetting expense to rent?

@Berky1 wrote:
....I'm not asking about mortgage interest or property taxes.  I'm asking about the actual loan payment.

I sincerely hope you are not inquiring about the amount that you pay to your mortgage lender that represents principal repayment. Only interest on the mortgage note is deductible, not your entire mortgage payment in terms of the part that represents repayment of principal.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

@Berky1 wrote:
....I'm not asking about mortgage interest or property taxes.  I'm asking about the actual loan payment.

I sincerely hope you are not inquiring about the amount that you pay to your mortgage lender that represents principal repayment. Only interest on the mortgage note is deductible, not your entire mortgage payment in terms of the part that represents repayment of principal.

The mortgage payment is composed of two parts:  Interest, and principal.

As was noted, you enter the interest.

Principal is a portion of your purchase price.  That is done by means of depreciation.  So you enter the "asset" for depreciation, and the program will prorate that purchase amount (well, the amount of the building, not the land) over 27.5 years (in most cases).

RWM-001
Returning Member

The answers given are correct.  I note that a "loan payment" could include other items such as impounded funds for insurance, property taxes, etc.  You would report each component separately.  There should be an impound statement that shows how much was paid out of the account for these expenses.  Also, check to see if you have a Form 1098 from the lender, which you should have.  It will show interest expense, also other items such as property taxes if there is an impound.

If the insurance and RE taxes are escrowed then they may show on the 1098 form somewhere in the info section or on the escrow disbursement statement ... so you will enter those + the mortgage interest as deductions  and the principle portion of the payment is handled thru depreciation as prescribed by the IRS.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies