turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scarlotta

I find it difficult to enter an amount for siding/roofing I installed on a rental property for 2015. Can anyone help ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

I find it difficult to enter an amount for siding/roofing I installed on a rental property for 2015. Can anyone help ?

The siding and roofing you installed on your rental property are considered as capital improvements and the expense is not deductible.  The cost of a capital improvement is added to the adjusted cost basis of your rental property and is not deducted as an expense on your tax return.  A capital improvement is the addition of a permanent structural change or the restoration of some aspect of a property that will either enhance the property's overall value, increase its useful life or adapt it to new uses.

pu_

Where  do I enter the cost of a new roof on a rental property

Carl
Level 15

Your new roof and siding add to the cost basis of the property. It gets entered in the Assets/Depreciation section. You should classify the improvement as Residential Rental Real Estate. Enter it's cost in the COST box and enter a ZERO in the COST OF LAND box.

THe cost will include everything - what you paid for it, cost of installation, transportation, absolutely *EVERYTHING* associated with the property improvement. That total cost gets depreciated over the next 27.5 years.

In service date is the day after the work was completed, and the business use percentage is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT business use.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies