turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Judy018

I entered rental income in Turbo tax but it does not appear in form 8582 line 1. Turbo tax does not let me edit the form directly either. What could go wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I entered rental income in Turbo tax but it does not appear in form 8582 line 1. Turbo tax does not let me edit the form directly either. What could go wrong?

Rental income goes on the Sch E ... why do you think it belongs on the form 8582?  That is for non deductible Sch E  losses to carry them forward. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Who Must File
Form 8582 is filed by individuals who have passive activity deductions (including prior year unallowed losses). However, you don’t have to file Form 8582 if you meet the following exception.
Exception
You actively participated in rental real estate activities and you meet all of the following conditions:

• Rental real estate activities with active participation were your only passive activities.
• You have no prior year unallowed losses from these or any other passive activities (exception losses from publicly traded partnerships (PTP) are not reported on form 8582).
• Your total loss from the rental real estate activities wasn’t more than $25,000 ($12,500 if married filing
separately).
• If you’re married filing separately, you lived apart from your spouse all year.
• You have no current or prior year unallowed credits from a passive activity (except PTP's.
• Your modified adjusted gross income (see the instructions for line 7, later) was not more than $100,000 (not more than $50,000 if married filing separately).
• You don’t hold any interest in a rental real estate activity as a limited partner or as a beneficiary of an estate or a trust.
If all the above conditions are met, your rental real estate losses are not limited, and you don’t need to complete Form 8582

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies