Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

schryer9999
Returning Member

I bought a home November 2020. Decided to rent it out for 1 year ... move in January 2022. Can I claim anything even though I plant to move in in a year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

I bought a home November 2020. Decided to rent it out for 1 year ... move in January 2022. Can I claim anything even though I plant to move in in a year?

Yes you can claim a deduction for qualified rental expenses, even though you plan to move in at a later time.

You must report the rental income for the property and you can claim all the ordinary rental expenses (e.g. loan interest, insurance, depreciation, repairs & maintenance, management fees, etc.)

See What kinds of rental property expenses can I deduct? for a more complete list of deductible rental expenses.

See Where do I enter income and expenses from a rental property? for instructions on reporting rental income and expenses.

schryer9999
Returning Member

Wow ... thanks for the quick reply ToddL99.  What about the lawyer fees, can I claim all/part of that?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Legal fees for purchasing the property are added to the cost basis of the property and are then depreciated over 27.5 years. If you only rent the property for one year, you would end up deducting 3.63%  (1/27.5) of those legal fees as part of the 1st year's depreciation.

schryer9999
Returning Member

Awesome ... thanks.  One more question about this.  I used $22,000  from my TFSA to help with the down payment of my property.  Do I have to claim this amount on my 2020 taxes?  If so, where?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Please clarify - are you talking about a Canada tax return (TFSA is a Canadian version of US Roth account)?

schryer9999
Returning Member

Yes, Canada.  From what I have just been reading, TFSA's are "tax free" ... correct?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

This forum is for US tax returns so we cannot offer advice on Canadian tax issues. 

See The Tax-Free Savings Account website from the Canadian government.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies