turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I say that I didn't rent property? My return says I received $100 and I have to put min 15 days of rental but I didnt get $100 and cant find it anywhere on there

When I get to the "Review" section, I'm asked to enter the number of days that my property was rented. In my case it was 0, but last year I had a roommate and paid taxes on the income I got from her.

Despite not having it listed as income in 2021, it's asking me to enter rental dates and it's saying I have to at minimum have rented it for 15 days but didn't and can't figure out how to opt out of that section.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

How do I say that I didn't rent property? My return says I received $100 and I have to put min 15 days of rental but I didnt get $100 and cant find it anywhere on there

It depends. Unless I am missing something, if you had a roommate, you rented out a portion of your home. Did this roommate live in your house in 2020 but not 2021?

If this is the case, then this information must have populated into your 2021 return and now Turbo Tax is asking for the information because it thinks you still have the roommate. If this is the case, then you will need to delete all the information out of your 2021 return. For best results, try deleting the forms that populated from the previous year.

1. Go to tax tools>tools>delete a form.
  2. Look for all forms that have Schedule E referenced and if you see these, delete them. This includes all the worksheets related to Schedule E.
  3. if this doesn't work, go to the Rentals, Royalties, and Farm in the wages and income section of your return, and check to see if there is a rental summary listed.  if so, delete the entry by selecting the trash can icon. Delete everything in this section so there is no trace of rental income anywhere.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies