turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rgm
Level 1

How do I depreciate my rental property? Started 8/18 and CPA depreciated per Sch E but no hard copy , just IRS.gov. It was rented all 2019.

I see an amount under Total Depreciation or Depletion for all Properties but I don't know basis. I also don't see how to enter the data in TT without answering the prompts incorrectly
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

How do I depreciate my rental property? Started 8/18 and CPA depreciated per Sch E but no hard copy , just IRS.gov. It was rented all 2019.

The program takes care of all that for you based on the data you enter into the program. If you did not use TUrboTax to file your 2018 return, but desire to start using Turbotax with your 2019 tax return, then you will absolutely need your 2018 SCH E and the IRS Form 4562's associated with it. There will be three 4562's for that property. One of them prints in portriat format and does not have the detailed information needed. The other two print in landscape format and you will *REQUIRE* a hard copy of the titled "Depreciation & Amortization Report". That one has all the details required on it.

CPA depreciated per SCH E but no hard copy.

You'll need to contact that CPA and request they provide you a "complete" hard copy of that return as they are required to do by law, provided you request it. Tell that CPA you want *EVERYTHING* to include all forms and calculation worksheets. Now for a 2018 tax return this late in the game, I would expect the CPA to charge you a small fee for that hard copy.

You "could" get a transcript from the IRS. But due to the COVID-19 shutdown at the IRS, it could be months before that happens.

rgm
Level 1

Thank you. VA taxes are due today. Would you suggest I file an extension until I get that info? Or file and amend?

Estimate your tax due VA and file an extension until you obtain the information.

*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies