turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

how best to depreciate my house furniture in the rooms used for rental (airBnB)?

Hi. I rented furnished one of the two bedrooms in my house for 9 months last year. 

I understand that i can depreciate  the (previously existing) furniture in the bedroom at 100%, correct?

May I also depreciate at 50% the furniture and appliances (e.g. refrigerator) in common areas? 

if so, how do i use Turbotax to calculate such a depreciation? is it 5-year?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

how best to depreciate my house furniture in the rooms used for rental (airBnB)?

To start with, you will more than likely find that depreciating the furniture will make absolutely no difference on your tax liability. But when you sell the property later in your life, the requirement to recapture that depreciation and pay taxes on it *will* have a potential to hurt. Recaptured depreciation adds to your AGI and has the potential to bump you into a higher tax bracket. So overall, chances are this is a waste of your time and effort for no gain, but a possible loss in the future sale of the property.

Furniture and appliances are depreciated over 5 years.

Furniture in the room that is "exclusive to the renter" can be depreciated at 100% over 5 years.

If the renter actually has use of other appliances and you can prove it (in the contract) then your percentage of business use is probably not at 50%. For common area appliances the percentage is based on the number of people that live in the house.

So if it's you, your spouse and two kids, the addition of a renter makes 5 people. So only 20% of the value of those common area appliances is depreciated. But if you have a couple renting the room that makes 6 people, which comes out to 16.6% use per person. So for the two renters that makes 33.3% business use.

So you can see that's a nightmare that screams for an audit. The TurboTax program just flat out can't handle a scenario where the number of people in the house can change practically daily.

My recommendation is don't waste your time with the common area stuff. As for the bedroom furniture that's 100% business use, knock yourself out. But you'll probably find it makes no difference to your overall bottom line tax liability.

Thanks a lot Carl. Very helpful!

So, how exactly can I do it in Turbotax for the exclusive room at 100%?  where exactly do i enter this depreciation?

Thanks again! 

Hi again. I'd still like help on this... 

Following your advice I'd only depreciate the furniture in the bedroom which is exclusively used at 100%!   

just advise  how exactly can I do that in Turbotax?  where exactly do i enter this depreciation?

Thanks again! 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Go to the Schedule E that is reporting your rental income and add Assets to enter the furniture to be depreciated.  TurboTax will give you guidance along the way.

@LP1968

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies