turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ex-F1 Student, don't live in the US Have SSN, 2 bank accounts, and brokerage account (Robinhood) How do I file taxes for interests earned, capital gains, and dividends?

To my understanding, for foreigners who invest in US stocks. Any dividends received will automatically be taxed 30%, but mine is not. Thank you!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Ex-F1 Student, don't live in the US Have SSN, 2 bank accounts, and brokerage account (Robinhood) How do I file taxes for interests earned, capital gains, and dividends?

@usered3721  generally  Non-Resident Aliens  present in the USA  file their returns using form 1040-NR and yes there is a flat taxing regime.   Also for many NRA, resident in the USA with SSN, there  may be withholding by the employer. For those  whom are abroad, generally a holding agent collects the  withholding and issues a  1042-S  for the filer whom uses a form 1040-NR.  I suspect that in your case,  you bank / broker is probably not aware that you have moved out of the country  and that they should have been acting as or using the services of an withholding agent and issue  you 1042-S --- they probably issued you 1099s.

So I would suggest  that (a) you file US return using form 1040-NR  ( not supported by TurboTax ) using SprinTax or similar ( there are many  such professionals  in many countries );  (b) alert your Bank and  brokers  that despite your SSN you are  NRA and not residing in the USA.

Also note that there may be  treaty conditions that are applicable -- so which country are you a citizen of  and which country are you in now.  You may also want to verify that your SSN is still valid -- because once your visa has been termnated, your SSN  that  was dependent on the visa , should have been terminated -- may want to chack with SSA or USCIS

Good Luck

View solution in original post

2 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@usered3721  generally  Non-Resident Aliens  present in the USA  file their returns using form 1040-NR and yes there is a flat taxing regime.   Also for many NRA, resident in the USA with SSN, there  may be withholding by the employer. For those  whom are abroad, generally a holding agent collects the  withholding and issues a  1042-S  for the filer whom uses a form 1040-NR.  I suspect that in your case,  you bank / broker is probably not aware that you have moved out of the country  and that they should have been acting as or using the services of an withholding agent and issue  you 1042-S --- they probably issued you 1099s.

So I would suggest  that (a) you file US return using form 1040-NR  ( not supported by TurboTax ) using SprinTax or similar ( there are many  such professionals  in many countries );  (b) alert your Bank and  brokers  that despite your SSN you are  NRA and not residing in the USA.

Also note that there may be  treaty conditions that are applicable -- so which country are you a citizen of  and which country are you in now.  You may also want to verify that your SSN is still valid -- because once your visa has been termnated, your SSN  that  was dependent on the visa , should have been terminated -- may want to chack with SSA or USCIS

Good Luck

Thank you so much for your reply! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies