Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cfaeyoung

Do I owe California state income tax on the sale of California rental real estate if I reside in 100% of the year in Illinois?

If we do owe California tax, do we get a credit for our Illinois state taxes, or do we owe state taxes in Illinois, too, because we are residents of Illinois?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Do I owe California state income tax on the sale of California rental real estate if I reside in 100% of the year in Illinois?

Yes. The state of California will require you to pay tax on the profit.

How California taxes residents, nonresidents, and part-year residents
  • California residents - Taxed on ALL income, including income from sources outside California.
  • Nonresidents of California - Taxed only on income from California sources.
  • Part-year residents of California - Taxed on all income received while a resident and only on income from California sources while a nonresident.

The gain or loss from the sale of real estate has a source where the property is located. If you sell your California real estate and move out of state, the gain is taxable by California. The gain is taxable by California even if the real estate is sold when you are a nonresident.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/filertn/nonresidents-part-year-residents.shtml#how_taxed

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes. The state of California will require you to pay tax on the profit.

How California taxes residents, nonresidents, and part-year residents
  • California residents - Taxed on ALL income, including income from sources outside California.
  • Nonresidents of California - Taxed only on income from California sources.
  • Part-year residents of California - Taxed on all income received while a resident and only on income from California sources while a nonresident.

The gain or loss from the sale of real estate has a source where the property is located. If you sell your California real estate and move out of state, the gain is taxable by California. The gain is taxable by California even if the real estate is sold when you are a nonresident.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/filertn/nonresidents-part-year-residents.shtml#how_taxed

cfaeyoung

Thank you so much!

To get the credit for the taxes paid on the CA return  on the IL return you MUST complete the non resident CA return FIRST and then the IL return even if you will not file them in that order.
morganvams
Returning Member

I am in this position for tax year 2019. My wife and I have lived in a different state for 8 years, but still belong to a real estate investment partnership in California. We sold some of that land in 2019. How do we report our share of the proceeds and pay the tax? (Meaning what form(s)

morganvams
Returning Member

I am in this position for tax year 2019. My wife and I have lived in a different state for 8 years, but still belong to a real estate investment partnership in California. We sold some of that land in 2019. How do we report our share of the proceeds and pay the tax? (Meaning what form(s)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies