Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I enter 59 times for 1099B for 1 time stock sale in 1 company? Summary of Proceeds has 8 entries to check Code A on Form 8949, Code D has 50, and Code X has 1 entry.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do I enter 59 times for 1099B for 1 time stock sale in 1 company? Summary of Proceeds has 8 entries to check Code A on Form 8949, Code D has 50, and Code X has 1 entry.

You can consolidate and make 3 entries ... one for each section code.  Use the term VARIOUS for the data bought & 12/31/2019 for the date sold to make things simple. 

From your description it sounds like the broker listed out each and every lot making up the sale in each sale category, which is not unusual, but @Critter has it right that all that "lot" information can be compressed into one dollar amount for the one sale in each sales category; it's simply not necessary to provide that cost basis detail in your income tax return.  I'd use the actual sales date for each of the 3 entries.

Assuming that the "X" sales category transaction is "long term" (which it usually is) you will be reported as an "E" sales category transaction - "Long-term transactions reported on Form(s) 1099-B showing basis wasn’t reported to the IRS" - and have to provide the basis for that sale from your own records.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies