Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Depreciation

I depreciated my rental property under my personal taxes for 10 years.  Now this year I established an LLC and would like to pick up the depreciation from there, however, I don't see where I can do it over the remaining 17.5 years, it resets my clock to 27.5 years.  I am using TurboTax business.  Any idea how I continue the depreciation  over the remaining period rather than again the full 27.5 years?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Depreciation

Are you including the date that you originally started renting it? The program is designed to be able to pick up the depreciation amounts from assets placed in service in earlier years.

Carl
Level 15

Depreciation

Since you state you put the property into an LLC and further state you're using TurboTax Business (different from Home & Business) that tells me the business is a multi-member LLC that will file IRS Form 1065.

The open/start date of the LLC **MUST** be the same date the rental property was first placed in service. It does not matter if that date was years ago either. Since ownership of the property did not change due to you selling or gifting the property to another individual, that's how you correctly do it.

This is because you can not place an asset in service, before the business is "open for business". Therefore, your multi-member LLC was "in fact" open for business on the date the rental property was first placed in service.

Then when you close out the SCH E on your personal 2019 1040 tax return you will show the disposition of that property and all of it's assets as "removed for personal use". This will effectively make this the last year you will report that rental property on page 1 of your personal 1040 tax return SCH E. Once done, you will need to print out the IRS Form 4562's for that specific rental property. THere will be two of them and they both print in landscape format.

WHen you enter the rental property in TurboTax Business all information will be "IDENTICAL" to what is on the 4562's you printed from your personal return - with one exception.

When turbotax business asks you for "prior depreciation already taken" the amount shown will probably be wrong and you can change it. To get the correct amount, add together the amounts from the 4562 in the "prior years depr" column and "current year depr" column, and enter that total in TurboTax business as your total prior depreication already taken on the asset.

YOu have to do this for each individual asset listed on the 4562.

Once you've completed the 1065 partnership return, you'll print out the K-1 for each partner (including you) and you will enter that K-1 on your personal 1040 tax return. When done, the SCH E page 1 will show rental icome/expenses for the period of time it was "NOT' in the LLC, and the SCH E page 2 will contain information from your K-1.

This means that 2019 will be the last tax year you will report anything for this rental on page 1 of your 1040 SCH E. From 2020 on all of your rental stuff will show up on page 2 of your 1040 SCH E, after you have entered the K-1 information.

Depreciation

Than you Carl.  However, I just started my new LLC, there was no LLC 10 years back, that would be conflicting? It would seem like I did not file LLC taxes for 10 years!

Depreciation

In effect, my question is, how can I put open/start date of LLC 10 years back when I just started the LLC?

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies