Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Converted property from rental to personal in 2019. Where do I report mortgage interest for 2020?

I used to rent out a room in my condo (not my main residence) and reported income on Schedule E. In 2019, I converted the property from rental to all personal use. On 2019 TurboTax Schedule E, I checked the box that said, "I converted this property from rental to personal use in 2019." But now in 2020 TurboTax, the Schedule E is still there, assuming the property is a rental. But when I follow the prompts, TurboTax says I should "delete it as a rental," which I assume means just delete the Schedule E. But now, where and how do I report my mortgage interest for this property? This property is not my main residence. I use it as a second home.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Converted property from rental to personal in 2019. Where do I report mortgage interest for 2020?

You can deduct home mortgage interest for a second home and your main home as part of Schedule A, Itemized Deductions.  

Use the following steps to go to that section:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “mortgage interest” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to mortgage interest
  • Click on the blue “Jump to mortgage interest” link
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

You can deduct home mortgage interest for a second home and your main home as part of Schedule A, Itemized Deductions.  

Use the following steps to go to that section:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “mortgage interest” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to mortgage interest
  • Click on the blue “Jump to mortgage interest” link
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies