Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Carryover Loss in the case of rental property ownership change

I co-own a few rental properties with another owner. We used to report 50/50 on schedule E and have carryover loss from previous years on all the properties. From this year on, we will change the ownership in tax reporting to 0/100 or 10/90. In either case, how can I keep the carryover loss from previous years if i no longer report some of the properties? Is there any other process involve to make sure I can keep the loss for future tax returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
M-MTax
Level 10

Suspended passive losses are on your 8582 and you don't need to do anything as long as you have that form. The percentage change is problematic because it's presumed you own 50/50 unless you agree to a different percentage BUT then that would create a partnership. Get a pro to help.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
M-MTax
Level 10

Suspended passive losses are on your 8582 and you don't need to do anything as long as you have that form. The percentage change is problematic because it's presumed you own 50/50 unless you agree to a different percentage BUT then that would create a partnership. Get a pro to help.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Answered in response to your earlier post of the same question.

Please keep all the discussion of your problem in one thread. Do not post separate questions about the same issue. It's too confusing and hard to follow, and hard to see the whole picture, if information is scattered in multiple threads. If you want to add more information or post a follow-up question, add a reply to your original question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies