turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

6692dsf

Can I deduct expenses made for my rental property after my tenants destroyed it?

Can I deduct improvements made to my rental after my tenants destroyed my rental property?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I deduct expenses made for my rental property after my tenants destroyed it?

Yes, it's all deductible.  Fix it up and try again.  As you know, if you install a major item like a roof or new driveway, you are supposed to depreciate it over the useful life.  New appliances may require depreciation.  New carpet / flooring may require depreciation.

Paint/Doors/windows/hauling - expense

Been There...

Anonymous
Not applicable

did you have insurance covering this type of loss?  if so, did you file a claim? 

In my cases, no claim was made by me.

Rental properties require a different policy known as a “dwelling fire policy” or 'Landlords Policy' that cover vandalism

In order to claim vandalism, owners must file a police report and press charges against the offender, in most cases.

Compare total repair amounts vs deductible, keeping in mind that insurance companies may not continue coverage on property if a claim is made..  If flood or fire damage, expenses can add up.

You should check with your insurance agent.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies