turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I correct the cost basis and also have the accounting method changed at the same time?

I put my house as a rental around mid 2016. In my 2016 returns (filed with turbo tax) I took the depreciation but the cost basis was incorrect. I stopped using depreciation since 2016 (mostly because I did my taxes and also didn’t understand it much). Can I change the cost basis this year? Also from reading on the forums I believe I will need to file a change in accounting using form 3115. Can I do both on the same return? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I correct the cost basis and also have the accounting method changed at the same time?

@Taxd78 wrote:

...By filing 3115 and correcting the cost basis on my return for this year, can I claim the deductions that I missed on all the previous years that I did not claim it?

Yes, you make what is called a 481(a) adjustment for the foregone depreciation.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

@Taxd78 wrote:

....Can I do both on the same return? 

You are going to need professional assistance for your issue.

If you did not take a depreciation deduction starting in 2016 and continuing through the 2020 tax year, then you will have to file Form 3115 to catch up. The correct cost basis will be applied in the process.

Thanks @tagteam . I will be using a professional from this year onwards (made the mistake not to do so in the previous years 🙂 ).  Just curious, do I have to amend the previous years if I get the cost basis and accounting method corrected in the 2020 return (I haven’t filed yet)?  The reason I ask is because my 2019 is being audited for some other aspect and I do not want to change anything till it closes out. 

@Taxd78 wrote:

.....do I have to amend the previous years if I get the cost basis and accounting method corrected in the 2020 return

You cannot amend a return to correct an impermissible method of accounting if you filed using that impermissible method for two consecutive tax years (which you apparently did). 

As a result, rather than amending you would file a 3115 with your 2020 federal income tax return.

Thanks @tagteam. By filing 3115 and correcting the cost basis on my return for this year, can I claim the deductions that I missed on all the previous years that I did not claim it?

@Taxd78 wrote:

...By filing 3115 and correcting the cost basis on my return for this year, can I claim the deductions that I missed on all the previous years that I did not claim it?

Yes, you make what is called a 481(a) adjustment for the foregone depreciation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies