Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are 1099B gains/losses taxable if no money was taken out of my Money Market account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Are 1099B gains/losses taxable if no money was taken out of my Money Market account?

No, if you sold stock during 2019 you need to report the sale of the stock on your tax return even if you did not take money out of your Money Market Account.

The amount showing on your 1099-B are taxable income.

Here's where you enter or import your 1099-B in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) your return if it isn't already open.
  2. In TurboTax, search for 1099-B and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds, or other investments in 2019?
    • If you see Here's the info we have for these investment sales, select Add More Sales.
  4. Answer Yes to Did you get a 1099-B or brokerage statement for these sales?
  5. At Let's get your tax info, choose how you want to enter your 1099-B (import or type it in yourself).
  6. Follow the instructions.

What is Form 1099-B

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Appreciate your help !  Am still confused, though.  I did not sell any of the stock but, I guess there was lots of stock trading going on within my account.  The info Folio sent me showed dividends and interest, which I reported, and Summary of Proceeds, Gains & Losses, etc.(Form 8949 type).  Turbo Tax imported this info and, I think, included the short term and long term gains as taxable income.  I'm new to investing and have talked to a  number of people and never get the same answer as to: should this gain/loss in the value of the account be reported and, if so, is it taxable.  Again, I appreciate your help.  

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Trading involves sales. A broker will sell off one stock to buy another. The fact that you did not get the money is irrelevant. Report your 1099-B exactly as it appears. You must report all your income. If you had a gain, it is taxable. If it is a long-term gain, it may or may not be taxable depending on the rest of your income.

If you had a loss, you can take up to $3,000 of it in 2019 and carry the rest to 2020.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies